Media Access Control address or more commonly called MAC address is the unique value assigned to the network adapter (wired or wireless) by the manufacturer. This value is fixed unlike IP addresses of network cards which change dynamically. MAC addresses are used for authentication and tracking of devices. In order to spoof the routers or tracking software, you can change the MAC address in windows 10 by following simple steps.
Steps to change MAC address of windows 10 PC
Option1-Windows 10 Utility
Before you begin, it is important to note down the original MAC address of the network card of your PC or laptop. Doing so will help you restore your earlier MAC value.
- Right-click on the Start button and open Command-Prompt (Admin)
- Now in Command Prompt windows, Type ipconfig/all. You can now see the MAC address of all the network cards in front of the Physical Address.
- Now in order to change the MAC address, you need to right-click on the network icon in the taskbar.
- Open Change Adaptor settings and right-click on the network adapter you wish to change the MAC
- Click on configure and under the Advanced tab search for Network Address and change the value.
|Note: The above method is the easiest method to change the MAC address in Windows 10 but in most cases, it may not work if the device driver does not support it or some other software is controlling the network resource. In such a case you can follow the second option.|
Option2-MAC address changer Software
Technitium MAC address changer is a free 3rd party software that works well with all versions of Windows OS right from Windows XP to Windows 10. After running it, the software will automatically detect all the network adapters installed in the system and provide you with plenty of options to change the MAC address of the active or selected network adapter.
Both the methods to change MAC address are easy and work well if somebody has blocked your MAC address in the router or in case you down want your PC to be tracked. Do share your experience if you have used any of the methods to alter the MAC address in the windows 10 operating system.