You all are trying to enjoy the new version of windows but, what about the PC performance? The PC performance due to the security measures is lacking a lot. With the recent launch of Windows 11, many users tried to upgrade the operating system. Due to the stellar update, many people bought the entire new set-up of windows 11. The new windows update has strong security features but creates a lot of fuss. The fuss is that the windows enhanced security feature is affecting the gaming performance of the PCs.
You must be thinking about why the security features affect the performance. Well, the answer is that the windows security feature includes Virtual Based security. It is a Microsoft-based feature. So, if after windows 11 is set up you find the PC not working as crisp as it should be, then you can disable VBS.
Why does VBS in Windows 11 Matter a lot?
The goal of Microsoft is to give customers the same amount of security to all the consumer PCs as corporate machines have. If you have bought the new set-up of windows 11, some chances are that enhanced security features will get enabled themselves. VBS (Virtualization Based Security) is not a new feature, it was already in the windows 10 version.
What is VBS?
The VBS creates lone memory regions from the OS with the help of the windows hypervisor. This remains separate from the windows operating system. The benefit of VBS is that it prevents intruders from penetrating in and executing the malicious code or software. Along with preventing hackers, it also impacts the performance, notably the gaming performance by 28%.
The performance lag can be experienced by those who use older generation CPUs. The people who use Ist generation Ryzen CPUs may also experience this performance regression. So, as it gets enabled by default, you can think of disabling it.
Microsoft claims that the virtualized security in windows 11 can reduce the malware attack. HVCI (Hypervisor Protected code integrity) is enabled by virtualized security. There may be a question in your mind that what will happen if VBS gets disabled. Well, when you are using games on a PC, enabling VBS will affect the performance of the games. So, it is better to consider disabling VBS. It has its pros and cons that we will discuss further. Let’s see how to check the Virtualization based security status in your new operating system.
How to Check the VBS Status in Windows 11?
1. Windows 11 start menu can be accessed by pressing the Win key, In the search box, type ” System information” and open it.
2. As you open the system information, you will find the “system summary” section. Under this section, you will find “virtualization-based security”. Check its value is running or not. If the value is not enabled, it means the VBS is disabled.
Now, you have seen how to check the status let’s see how to disable the Windows 11 VBS. Have a look at the below methods.
Disable VBS in windows 11
1. Press Windows key to open the search box. As it opens type “Core isolation” and open it.
There is another way to open the windows in the 11 version. You can open it with the win + I key. You will see a new privacy and settings option, click on the privacy and windows screen and a new device security option will open. From this, you can also open the core isolation options.
2. Now you need to check whether the memory integrity toggle is enabled or not. if it is enabled then turn it off.
3. After this you will get a prompt to restart your computer. Click on “restart” and restart your PC.
The second method of disabling is to remove the windows component in order to Disable VBS. Removing the components that are responsible for VBS will also help a lot. To get success, you need to disable the Hypervisor platform, virtual machine platform, and other things from your PC.
1. Press the Windows key and open it.
2. Check the windows hypervisor and if it is checked, uncheck the virtual machine platform, Microsoft defender, and the Hypervisor too. Save the changes by clicking ok.
Disable virtualization from Editor
- Open the windows search bar and type registry editor. This registry editor can be used to disable the virtualization-based security.
- In registry Editor, on the right side, double click the Enable virtualization-based security.
- As you double click a window will open up, enter the value data “0” and restart the PC.
If you want to try something advanced to disable it, then you can disable it from BIOS. The procedure varies as it depends on the manufacturer. Furthermore, this is an advanced approach and you can go with the above four methods.
- Type Win +R and runwindow pops up. Type “gpedit.msc”, and “click ok”.
- By typing this, the group policy editor opens up. Now you have to navigate to the device guard path.
- Now double click the “turn on virtualization-based security” On double clicking a dialogbox will show up from where you need to disable the VBS security.
Pros and Cons of Disabling the VBS in your Windows 11 Machine
- Boost in the gaming performance
- Less and weakened security.
This is the end of this guide where we mentioned the steps to boost the performance of windows 11. It is not right to disable the security features of Windows 11. However, the ones who have gaming PC cannot opt for any other option.
Share Your Views: