In Windows 10 OS, by default, the automatic updates are turned On. While most of these updates occur automatically some of the updates require your permission or the acceptance of use. Windows 10 always check online for any new updates and sends you a reminder whenever such new updates are available. Updating the windows OS has both pros and cons. The biggest advantage of keeping your system updated is to make it more secure. The new patches released by windows 10 are capable of handling new viruses and malicious codes. While most of the updates work smoothly, sometimes unsuccessful updates result in blue screen errors, broken playlists, or crashing of games. This article discusses some easy ways to disable or enable windows 10 automatic updates.
Disable Automatic Updates using Local Group Policy Editor
|Note: Controlling windows update by using the Local group policy editor works only in Windows Pro and Windows Enterprise editions.|
- Open Group Policy Editor. Press Windows logo button and R on the keyboard. Now type gpedit.msc in run window. It will open Group policy editor screen
- Now open the following path:
Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update
- After you click Windows update button, In the right pane, you have to select “ Configure Automatic updates” to edit the settings. You need to select one of the following 3 options.
- Not Selected
- You can select the Disabled radio button to disable the automatic windows updates.
- If you select enabled, you will be further asked four different choices to select.
- Notify for download and installation. In this option, whenever new windows updates are available, you will be notified abut the downloads and you can download and install these updates by navigating to settings>Udate & Security>Windows Update>Update Now
- Auto Download and notify for install. This is the default setting where windows updates are downloaded automatically without any notification to you and when the downloads are completed, you will be notified to install these updates.
- Auto download and schedule the install. In this setting, windows updates are automatically downloaded and you have the option to schedule the installation. By default, the scheduled time is 3 AM. In post windows 8 versions, you have one more option to set which says that you can “ Install during automatic maintenance”. If you select this option, windows will install updates only when the computer is not in use and is not on battery-mode.
- Allow Local Admin to choose setting. This option if selected, local administrators will have the privilege to use the automatic update control panel to select the configuration settings.
Disable or enable windows 10 update with Windows update service
Another simple way to turn off automatic updates in windows 10 ( all editions) is to open the services by pressing Windows + R keys and type services.msc. In the services window that opens, find out windows update service and stop/start it as per your choice.
So, use these steps mentioned above to disable windows 10 automatic updates and let me know if these methods worked for you. You can share your experience in the comments section below.
How to stop Windows 10 auto updates [ Windows Central]
How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows [Microsoft Support]