Green Technology or Green Tech means manufacturing eco-friendly products with the help of science and technology. This technology’s primary motive is to reduce the harmful impact of humans on nature. Green Technology uses renewable resources and reduces the usage of them. Additionally, it is used for waste management and waste incineration by recycling the waste for beneficial purposes.
Recycling, energy efficiency, safety and health concerns, renewable resources, and many more things go hand in hand to make green tech products. Therefore, the goal of green tech is to repair the damages caused to the environment and protect the environment in the future. Another term for green technology is sustainable technology.
Why should we go Green?
Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution after the invention of the steam engine, the environment has suffered vigorous climate changes and has led to severe complications such as rising seawater levels, depletion of the groundwater reserves, the rapid spread of parasites and diseases, and even extinction of some species. Unless preventive measures are taken, these changes might be irreversible.
Green technology hopes to decrease the effects of pollution and climate change. Now, what is that important? We know that the world has a fixed amount of natural resources, which gets renewed at its own pace. Some of those have already been ruined or depleted.
Things we use daily like household batteries contain harmful chemicals that can pollute groundwater and soil, contaminating the drinking water and food crops. The health issues caused by these chemicals alone are shocking.
Plastic pollutants are another unsustainable material that hugely pollutes aquatic habitats over the globe. Large plastic materials kill birds, fishes, and several species. At the same time, the smaller ones are preserved in larger fish preserved for human consumption and end up in the human stomach.
To decrease these harmful side effects of using non-renewable resources, Green Technology is the best alternative.
Green Technology advantages
There are numerous benefits of Green Technology. We have tried to list some of them below.
Green Technology is designed for recycling and managing waste products. The waste materials can be recycled for advantageous purposes. Waste incineration, waste management, and more such techniques can be successfully carried out with Green Technology. These kinds of recyclable materials have enabled people to create fuel, sculptures, plant fertilizers, furniture, and much more.
Purification of air
Human beings are trying their best to improve various technologies by reducing the harmful effects caused by them on the environment. However, the carbon emissions by automobile factories are detrimental to the Earth. Green Technology tries to reduce carbon emissions by the factories and hence, help in the purification of the air. The purification of air is critical to all living organisms and helps them breathe properly.
Purification of the water
One of the major issues in the world these days is the scarcity of pure drinking water. Green Technology uses various methods and has been a part of several campaigns which have successfully helped people to receive clean drinking water. This technology is one of the major sources of water purification across the globe.
Green Technology effectively conserves energy. This technology uses alternatives to devices that consume a large amount of fuel or electricity and make them available to the public. Some of the popular methods adopted by Green technology to reduce the use of renewable sources are:
- The growing popularity of electric or eco-friendly cars.
- Solar panels for energy conversion.
The use of environmentally friendly alternatives might seem expensive at first but saves money in the long run. Therefore, for all factors, the use of Green Technology is highly encouraged.
Restoration of the ecosystems
The human race has caused damage to the environment. Clean or Green Technology tries to rejuvenate ecosystems by implanting trees. Waste is also managed and recycled through this technology. This ensures that the affected ecosystem can start again and remains conserved this time around. The restoration of these ecosystems also saves the lives of many animal and plant species and prevents them from going extinct.
Cutting down the costs
Companies always look for methods that can reduce costs. Therefore, this point is one of the most logical points for companies to consider when adopting green technology. This Green Technology is not only effective in maintaining the environment, but the sustainable solutions also help to cut down the costs in the long run. Additionally, it attracts more clients than their contemporaries. The use of Green Technology gives an edge over other companies as they see that the company is also concerned with saving the environment.
Why should companies adopt green Technology?
There are several reasons why companies should adopt Sustainable or Clean technology. Some of them are listed below.
- Companies should be aware that Clean Technology and Green Innovations attract clients and are suitable for the business. These technologies help to gain profits in fast-growing markets.
- Green Technology is often a healthier and safer option than its non-green alternatives. It also effectively reduces energy bills.
- Smaller changes can contribute and bring a larger change. For example, replacing plastic water bottles with reusable water bottles can bring about an effective change. This will promote a healthier, greener, and eco-friendly environment.
Green Technology examples
Some of the most common examples of Green Technology are listed below:
- Wastewater management: Key processes like nanotechnology, development of biological treatment, membrane filtration, natural treatment systems like wetlands, and microbial fuel cells are used to reduce the pollutants in the water that is discharged in the water bodies. These methods make the water suitable for drinking.
- Waste recycling and management: Technologies like smart containers, automated food waste tracking systems, and optical scanning to separate plastics from the waste can effectively contribute towards waste management.
- Energy generation from waste and waves: Green Technology has come up with solutions to generate energy from the garbage in electricity, hot water, or steam. Also, the movement of waves can be transformed into electrical energy.
- Solar energy: The electricity generation through solar energy conversion technology has effectively reduced the depletion of fossil fuels or hydrocarbons for energy.
- Switching to vehicles that do not emit gases: Vehicles emit many harmful and polluting gases to the environment. Therefore, switching to electric or eco-friendly vehicles can help reduce the pollution in the air. Also, Green Technology offers custom solutions to factories for reducing industrial emissions, which in turn reduces air pollution.
Demerits of Green Technology
There are some cons related to Green Technology. They are listed in the points below.
- Green Technology has high implementation charges.
- This technology is still in the beginning stages.
We know that our environment needs protection and Green Technology helps to provide exactly that to the Earth we live on. Also, if we consider overall, Clean Technology can be worthwhile as it enhances that company’s thing, reduces expenses, and improves operations. Initially, the installation might seem a little expensive, but the long-term benefits are much more fruitful.