One-third of the world’s food is buried in a landfill whereas almost a billion people die due to starvation. Fortunately, many organizations have promoted a number of apps to control this problem. Many apps are there in the market which help in reducing the problem of hunger all over the world. Some best leftover food apps of 2019 are discussed below which could invite some people to contribute leftover foods and help some needy people:
Top Apps Preventing Food Wastage
1 Too Good To Go
This app mainly works in Europe and the US. The rating of this app is 4.9/5. Moreover, it has been downloaded 1.2 million times since the time of launching this app in 2015. This is the initiative by many organizations and individuals for helping the people in need. They include restaurants that lower their price at the end of the day and sell the leftover at a very cheap price. Due to this, the food is not been wasted and the people who are hungry can fill their empty stomachs.
• Save the environment. Too good to go app helps to save the environment by giving poor people food to eat and distributing leftovers at the end of the day.
• Healthy prevention. It has been recorded that around 10000 meals were prevented from going to landfill in November last year.
• Easy payment. You can see the nearest locations from where the leftovers are being sold and pay via the app itself and show the receipt only to the restaurant and enjoy new dishes.
2 Food for All:
This app gives around an 80% discount at the end of the day just before 1 hour of closing the restaurant. It mainly works in Boston and New York City. People who are in need can explore nearby restaurants and pick up the food at the time specified by the restaurant itself. Moreover, people who want to help someone can also donate food through this app.
• Eliminate waste. This app lessens the waste of food in many restaurants and connects needy people and helpful ones through some apps and this app is one of them.
• Choose and pay. It is a simple-to-use app. You just have to choose the meal you want and get 80% off and pick up the food from the restaurant.
• Be good do good. This app is best for the people who want to do some charity, donations or run a restaurant so that poor people can find something to eat at a cheap price.
3 Food Rescue Hero
40% of food goes waste while 1 in 7 goes hungry. By using this app, one can procure food from a restaurant or an organization and deliver it to some non-profit organizations that serve those who are hungry. If you want to do something good for the planet, the best way is to deliver food to the people who are in need and see the happiness on their faces. When you deliver the food, this app gives you an option of taking a selfie with the people to whom you deliver the food and uploading it on your social website, and letting your friends know the happiness.
• Rescue mission. This rescue mission helps in bringing a smile to someone’s face. You just have to pick the food and drop it at the person who is food insecure or an organization that works as an intermediate in helping poor people.
• Guide. This app guides you every time on your way to the delivery place.
• Easy connection. It will easily connect to your already logged-in social websites through which you can invite more people into this rescue mission of helping hungry people.
4 Food Cloud:
Food cloud is yet another app for redistributing food to the persons or organizations that need food. There are some local charity organizations that are linked with this app and they get a notification whenever the food is available for pick up. They simply pick the leftover food and deliver it to the desired location.
• Food re-distribution. This app helps millions of people like family support services, homeless hostels, and poor people to reduce their starvation and get food at a very cheaper price.
• Simple notification system. The charitable organizations which are linked to this app offer a very simple notification system through which they can easily see when and where the food is available so that they can pick up the food and deliver it to needy persons.
This app especially covers the US just because of the reason that the country is facing a food crisis and around 40% of food is wasted every year. Moreover, 133 billion pounds of food is thrown away by the restaurants themselves. To control the food crisis, these kinds of applications play a major role in re-distributing the leftover food to the people in need. The main motive of this app is to support small businesses and bring people together to share delicious food.
• Coverage: retailers post their leftovers in the application and users receive a push notification for the available food nearby and they can easily pick up that food from the nearest restaurants.
• Up to 75% off By the end of the day, users get 75% off and the best shop deals at nearby restaurants.
The process of Goodr ensures the safest delivery of surplus food from the businesses to the non-profit organizations and communities that need it. You can directly donate your surplus food; the group associated with the good app will pick it up and deliver it to the community or people who need it. This app also helps in reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
• Feed more waste less: This is the tag line of the application and the meaning is clear from the name itself which means to waste less and donate more so that the problem of starvation which causes food scarcity could be diminished to some extent.
• Food insecurity: over 42 million people in the US are suffering from food insecurity. Surplus food should directly be delivered to local communities with apps like this so that we can contribute something to this issue.
7 Waste NO Food
This app is only available for iOS which gives you simple options in the beginning namely donor, charity, and volunteer. You can select one of these and welcome to the app and say no to food scarcity. As we all know one-third of all food is wasted in restaurants, farms as well as grocery places. We can deliver these products to the right places by just logging into these types of apps.
• A medium: This app acts as a medium between the donor and the person in need who takes the surplus food from the donor or a volunteer and with the help of its group, delivers the food to the needy people.
• Detailed description: When you are using this application, you will get a complete explanation of how many deliveries you have done and the products as well.
• Easy login: You don’t have to create a completely lengthy account. If you are using a social website like Facebook or Gmail, you can quickly login into this app and start working there and then!
8 OLIO: The Food Sharing Revolution
Olio basically connects neighbors and local communities or shops so that surplus food could be shared and not thrown away. If you love to eat and like to help other people so that they would not sleep with an empty stomach, this app is for you. Go ahead, download it and give a hand in saving the environment. There are around 884271 users of this app along with 30357 volunteers who are helping other people and preventing leftover food from getting dumped.
• Got some extra food. Simply sign up with olio, capture a picture, and add a simple and brief description about your leftover and any neighbor from the app would love to pick it up from you.
• Coverage. It also covers non-food household items too. You can just read different descriptions about the product and via private messaging; you can decide the pickup timing from the user of that product.
• Help the environment. Every day food is being dumped on a big ratio and people are doing nothing to help the needy people. By using Olio, you can connect with neighbors and other local communities and help in providing surplus food to hungry people.
This app is mainly covering food insecurities in urban areas of America. Transfer-nation delivers somewhere around 2.7 metric tons of food every week. The volunteers and contractors can earn up to $15 per pick up and local feeding programs enjoy free high-quality food. They normally deliver food to feeding programs hosted by churches and shelters in their vicinity. This app is only compatible with iPhone users.
• Scheduled pickups. The event creators can schedule the pickup of food for volunteers and easily track their location.
• Pay easily. By using the new feature of this app, you can easily pay for your delivery through a credit card.
• Live notifications. You can also get live notifications of the available leftovers from where you can pick the food up.
10 Olio: Share More, Waste Less
OLIO, share more and waste less. You may have heard the name of this application. It is the most widely used application in the US. Founded in 2015, it became the most extensive food-sharing application because of its network. We all know how difficult it is for some people to eat three times food in a day; thus, this application was made with the concept of feeding hungry people and not wasting a single piece of food. It just takes a few seconds to add a listing. Their goal is to help make this planet worth living on.
How to use this application
- If you have leftover food, give it to the needy for free instead of wasting it.
- You can borrow or lend food using this application every day
- If you want to sell or buy homemade food, do it using OLIO.
Utilize Leftover Food Rightly with Food-Leftover Apps
You can help end hunger in your community. This world has more than enough food which can serve each and every individual but still 815 million stomachs go to sleep without eating anything. If you want to change society, first change yourself and download any of these apps to prevent food wastage and help to fight hunger so that no one would sleep with an empty stomach. Precisely speaking, 63 million tons of food is wasted every year in the US which generates $18.2 billion dollars. End hunger and malnutrition by serving even one individual and seeing the happiness on their faces.