Recording phone calls on the iPhone presents challenges due to legal restrictions in many states in the USA. Consequently, Apple deliberately chose not to incorporate this feature into their devices to comply with the law and prioritize data privacy and security.
However, there are instances where recording calls becomes necessary, such as for interviews, academic research, or to remember important information. For these reasons, we have thoroughly explored various options and identified the most user-friendly and readily available ways to record calls on an iPhone.
Is Recording Conversations on Your iPhone Legal?
If you work in journalism, podcasting, or customer service, you might find the need to record phone calls. Unfortunately, the iPhone does not come with a built-in call recording feature or any pre-installed programs for this purpose. However, it is indeed possible to record calls. Keep in mind that the legality of call recording depends on your specific jurisdiction, so it’s essential to familiarize yourself with the applicable laws in your area.
Before recording anyone else, make sure you are well informed about the laws governing call recordings in your location. In some places, recording phone calls is strictly prohibited. In others, both parties participating in the call must give their consent for the recording (referred to as two-party consent), while in some locations, only one person needs to be aware that the recording is taking place (known as one-party consent). Protect yourself from potential legal troubles and expenses by familiarizing yourself with the laws in your area before you begin any recording activities.
How to Record an iPhone call?
#1 Use the Voice Memos app
Voice Memos is a pre-installed app on both iPhones and iPads. While it is commonly used for recording various sounds, it can also be used to record phone calls on your iPhone. The best part is, it’s completely free and doesn’t require any additional app installations.
To record an iPhone phone call using Voice Memos, follow these simple steps:
- Initiate a phone call on your other device and launch the Voice Memos app on your iPhone.
- Tap the red Record button to start recording the phone call. Make sure the other phone is on speaker and its volume is turned up.
- When you’re finished, tap the Done button to stop the recording. The recorded file will be saved within the app, and you can easily share it by tapping the Share icon.
#2 Using Call Recorder for iPhone
Can you record calls on an iPhone? And this is easier to do than it seems. All you need is to install the iPhone call recording app and a couple of minutes. Call Recorder for iPhone has better recording quality because it connects to a conference call. This means that he hears everything you and your interlocutor say without additional noise. iOS call recorder allows you to share or listen to recordings at your discretion.
#3 With the Google Voice app
To avoid using an additional external device, one option is to download the Google Voice app. With this app, you can make and record calls for free. However, it is important to note that you need to use a Google Voice number for this feature. It is worth mentioning that you can only record incoming calls, not outgoing ones.
- To get started, go to the App Store and download the Google Voice app for iOS. If you are using Google Voice for the first time, you will be prompted to select a free phone number and specify the device from which you will be making calls.
- Go to the Settings section and, under Calls, enable the Incoming call options toggle.
- To initiate the recording during a call, simply press the number four on the keypad. You will hear an announcement confirming that the recording has started. To stop the recording, either press the number four again or hang up.
Once the call is completed, a pop-up notification from Google Voice will provide access to the recording. If you do not see the notification, you can also find the recording in the Voicemail tab.
#4 Record video conversations without apps
If you’re not keen on using any app to record iPhone calls, you can utilize the screen recording feature. This allows you to record calls in a video format while also capturing audio via the microphone. If you’re unsure about how to use the built-in screen recorder to record iPhone calls, follow these steps:
- Initiate a call on your iPhone and access the Control Center. This can be done by swiping up or swiping down from the upper right corner, depending on your iPhone model.
- Press and hold the Record button to open a new menu. Ensure that the microphone is turned on by tapping it (it should turn red).
- Once ready, tap the Start Recording button, and your call recording will commence.
#5 Use your voicemail
If your iPhone’s mobile carrier supports 3-way calling and Visual voicemail, there’s a cost-effective workaround available. During a call, wait for the Add Call button to appear and add a third caller using 3-way calling. Ask the other person to wait, click the button, and call yourself. Stay on the line and listen to your voicemail greeting until you hear the recording tone. Tap Merge Calls to merge all three calls, with your voicemail recording the other two.
Is it Legal?
Journalists, podcasters, and customer service representatives often find the need to record their phone calls. Unfortunately, the iPhone does not come with a pre-installed program for call recording, and the built-in Phone app lacks this feature. However, it is indeed possible to record calls. Whether recording calls is legal in your specific location depends on the applicable laws.
Recording calls on an iPhone is possible, you just need to properly prepare for it. In any case, you will need either a second device or additional applications. Everyone chooses their method, but always remember the legality of these actions and inform your interlocutor if this is required by the legislation of the country where you are located.