A multiple-monitor setup consists of a single desktop or a laptop that displays the contents on multiple monitors connected to it. By using the appropriate cable and connecting it to the display port available on the computer hardware, you can use more than one screen for presentations or extend the display of one screen to other. The programmers, designers, and tech support specialists are already utilizing the benefits of dual screens at their workplaces. In this article, you will learn about setting up and configuring dual display in Windows 10 and what are its advantages.
Benefits of using Multiple Display Screens
- Multiple Programs. Most professions like designing need you to open and work on multiple programs at the same time. It is not easy for them to open and close these programs frequently. Here is what multiple monitor setup helps you to extend your work on multiple screens and work while disrupting your workflow.
- Referencing. You need to draft a report but at the same time, you have to follow certain guidelines to complete it. You can open the guidelines on one screen while working on the report on another monitor without having to open or close the tabs.
- Comparison. If you planning to buy a new device and you often want to compare two or three models or brands. In this scenario, you can easily compare the products on multiple screens for better visibility and eliminate the hassles of adjusting the screens or multiple tabs.
- Better Communication. On video communication apps like Skype, you can chat with the other person on one monitor while carrying out his instructions on the other monitor.
Types of connections
Your computer or laptop must have more than one display port to create multiple screens. There are various types of display ports available today on motherboards or display cards. You can find the display ports on the back-side of your PC or on the side of a laptop. Some of the common types of display connectors include VGA, DVI, DP(Display-port), Thunderbolt, and HDMI. Dell has displayed all the display connectors in a table and you can refer to it if you are interested.
Setup dual-monitor in Windows 10
Once you have successfully connected multiple monitors, you need to configure the display settings in your operating system. Dual-display setup is possible in Mac and Linux apart from the windows operating system.
On the keyboard, press the windows key and P alphabet simultaneously to get the following screen options.
Here you will find four different options explained below.
- PC screen. If you need a display of only your PC or laptop, you can select this option.
- Duplicate. This is a default option. This option will let the contents be displayed on both screens. Both screens will show the same content. This mode is recommended for showing presentations to large gatherings.
- Extend. This will extend your screen area to the total size of two monitors. You will be virtually working on one large screen. This mode will help you in referencing, and multi-tasking and enhances productivity.
- Second screen only. It will display the contents only on the second monitor you have connected to the display port of your PC.
You can also customize the display settings of individual monitors. Right-click on the desktop and click on display settings. Now from the available screens, select the screen number and change the text size or click on advanced options to change the resolution of the screen.
Windows 10 has come up with a number of useful tools like this and minimized the use of third-party software for many such tasks. Multiple screens help in enhancing productivity, collaboration, and communication. It is easy to set up dual monitors in windows 10 and if you try it, do let us know your experience.