The pain of handling a damaged or malfunctioning web camera is well-known. However, there are a plethora of solutions to encounter this problem without much technical hassle. The device could be anything like a Microsoft Surface’s integrated Camera or an external camera attached to your desktop.
Reasons for Malfunctioning of a Windows 10 web camera
We often forget to up-to-date the camera driver of our computer that is one of the main reasons behind this type of technical glitch.
Sometimes, even a web camera can cause malfunctioning from core settings issues and also from associated settings issues. If your web cam’s settings are not ok, then you might not be able to enable your Camera from your device even after connecting.
Methods of Fixing a Malfunctioning Web Camera
Once you find your Camera is not working correctly, do not get agitated, because thankfully there are plenty of solutions available that do not require much technical knowledge. You only have to try these solutions one after another to get rid of your malfunctioning web camera problem.
1. If the web camera attached to your computer is connected through a USB, then unplugging and plugging in the USB might work well. Moreover, this is the fastest measure to fix your USB web camera device.
You can also try this measure because powering on and off is a way of force resetting to restore your web camera’s working condition. This reset process will automatically help your computer to work like before.
2. Maybe the USB port to which the web camera attached is damaged; hence you can try a different USB port to connect the Camera to verify whether the Camera is malfunctioning or the port itself.
3. Without thinking much, give your Windows 10 computer a simple restart. Sometimes this old process of solving common issues workes like anything. Even the computer faces several internal software or operating system glitches, which could be solved easily with a plain restart.
4. If any of the steps mentioned above do not solve the issue, you can further apply a combination of unplug and restart. The combination of both the measures: unplugging the USB web camera then restarting your windows 10 PC thence plugging in the USB device finally can work like a spell.
5. Sometimes we restrict the auto-update option of the Windows 10 operating system and forget to update drivers regularly. The habit of not updating the essential drivers could caus major technical problems. That is why we recommend you to check your web camera’s driver if your Camera is not responding.
6. Sometimes the Camera gets internal damage, which is impossible to locate physically. Physical damage could be a reason for frustration because any of the steps mentioned above will not work; further, it takes time to identify if you have a physically damaged product. Thus, in this case, you can use your web camera with a different computer to ensure the source of damage.
*You can even try your Camera with any of the popular gaming consoles, obviously if you have one. Most of the modern day’s gaming devices are USB camera supportive.
7. Sometimes the application we use for the web camera to perform malfunctions. But we fail to identify this problem in the first place. Thereby, if you discover your web camera suddenly stops working, then you should change the application interface you are using with the web camera. If you find the Camera is correctly working with other applications, then fix your app’s settings with a little help of the internet.
8. Some times the default privacy settings of your Windows 10 operating system stops web cameras to access your computer’s software. To notify your Windows 10 operating system that the intervention of the web camera is not unauthorized, you have to change the privacy settings of the OS. To change the privacy settings, you need to go to the Settings section. Then you locate the Camera settings there, and there you have to Allow apps to access your Camera.
*Here, you will have the comprehensive list of the settings for your web camera. It is advised to go through the entire list, to know which applications of your computer are taking access of the web camera. You can further disable any application that is accessing your web camera unnecessary.
9. Not all web cameras work with traditional windows drivers or software. There are some web cameras available that require dedicated software and drivers to function correctly. If your web camera works with specialized software, then check the settings of that software first to solve any issue you are facing.
10. Suppose your Camera is wireless, and it works through the Bluetooth of your Windows 10 laptop. Then the source of the problem could also be the settings of the device’s Bluetooth. Just go to the Windows 10 Action Center thence click on the Bluetooth option to update any settings.
*If you do not know where the Bluetooth settings are located on your Windows 10 computer, then go to the extreme right corner at the bottom of the screen, click on the Notifications icon. However, if you are doing this from a laptop, then you can just swipe the fringer from the right side of your touchpad.
11. Sometimes the web camera simply stops working because the device gets disconnected for any technical reason. To restore the connectivity of the web camera, you have to go to the Device Manager option of your Windows 10 operating system. To do so, go to the Device Manager option from the start menu and click the expansion option to the left of the Camera to display the entire list of cameras. From the list, you can identify whether your Camera is connected or not. If a small cross is visible on the camera icon, then it is disabled.
*Go to the taskbar of your Windows and search for the Device Manager by typing it on the search panel.
12. Though if you find your camera, enabled on the list, we have mentioned on the previous step you can still disable and then re-enable your device. This measure will help your web camera to get the attention of the Windows 10 operating system. Please be careful while disabling it and do not uninstall it instead of disabling it.
13. With time, manufacturers provide driver updates for their products just to ensure proper compatibility with the up to date operating system. Thus, you must update the driver on a frequent basis to take precautions against technical glitches. And, to do so:
Go to Device Manager once again, tap right-click on the mouse, then simply click on Update driver. Now, again select “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
14. Sometimes the updated driver causes trouble. Thus, it is suggested to get back to the previous version of the driver to ensure whether the problem is occurring from the driver or not. To restore the previous version of the driver, you have to go to the Device Manager, right-click on the icon of the Device Manager there. Thence click on Properties. Now go to Driver. Find the option “Roll back driver” and tap Yes. After finishing this step, restart your system to restore the working condition of the driver.
15. The final reason could be the incompatibility of your web camera with the latest Windows 10 operating system. Sometimes some hardware devices cause trouble with a modern operating system because they are designed to work with specific software. You can simply check the specifications to know the compatibility of any device. However, if you find that your Camera is not compatible with Windows 10, then you have nothing to do but replacing the web camera itself.
Web Camera is playing an important role during Covid times. The demand of web cams have also increased due to work from home conditions and online classes for students.These web cams can malfunction at any time and I hope the above solutions will help you get out of the trouble.
Share Your Views: