Android, the most common operating system for mobiles, provides a useful tool not only for Android developers but also for power users. This utility or a tool is called USB debugging mode and is available in all the versions of Android. This feature allows the users to make a connection between an Android device and a laptop or PC. With Android software development kit installed on your PC or laptop, you can carry out a lot of basic and advanced development functions on the Android device. Android SDK has a lot many inbuilt functions to ease out your coding requirements. Some of the vital components include a debugger for sorting and fixing issues and a vast library to assist you.
Advantages of Turning On Android USB Debugging Mode
- It allows Android developers to test their developed apps instantly on the device since the debugging mode allows them to copy and run their apps on the connected android device.
- This tool is not only useful to developers but the power users can root their android phones by sending the root commands to the connected device.
- Turning on USB debugging mode also helps you check the logs on the Android device to debug various errors.
- Apart from transferring the files between device and your system, debugging or developer mode also helps you copy any of the APKs to the device.
- In case, you are not able to boot your device in normal conditions, ADB (Android Debug Bridge) commands help you boot and backup the Android phone.
How to Turn On USB Debugging Mode
Note: Enabling developer mode differs slightly on different Android versions. For this article I am using Android 7.0 Version and device is Samsung A9 Pro.
To turn on developer mode, you need to navigate to settings>About Phone. Now you have to tap software information as shown in the screenshot below.
Now navigate to build Number. You need to tap it repeatedly for 3 to 5 times and you will be prompted with a message that you have activated developer option. Now you need to again navigate to settings and will find new settings “Developer Options“.
Tap on this new Developer Options and finally turn on the USB debugging mode. Once you enable it you will be asked for a confirmation. Accept it and there you are ready to enjoy this powerful tool.
Use USB Debugging Mode Safely
Along with the benefits of this wonderful tool, there are some security issues attached to it. If you leave your Android phone unattended at any public charging station, someone can easily hack in to your device and steal the information or push some spyware to your device. You also need to take care that whenever you connect your android device via USB cable, you are prompted to authorize USB debugging mode. You should not authorize the systems except your personal PC for security reasons.