Have you ever encountered a situation when you send an email and in return, you get a message that the sender is blocked? Apart from getting send-receive errors in Microsoft outlook, your mail ID may get blocked by client’s email servers. Sometimes you are able to send messages to some recipients but some servers like Gmail or the company’s email server rejects your mail. Spamming is the major reason behind such blockage or mail rejection. If a timely action is not taken, your mail account might be permanently blocked after receiving temporary blockage notifications.
Reasons of Email getting Blocked
The primary reason is the spam emails from your account. Hackers or spammers can compromise the security of your email server or the credentials of the particular email account. If they are successful in breaching the security, they can send bulk spam messages from your mail-ID.
Whenever you email ID is blocked, you will get an error message in your inbox. These error messages generally start with a code followed by a link to see the cause of an error. Some of the common error messages look like these.
- “554 5.7.1 – ERROR: Mail refused – <22.214.171.124> – See http://postmaster.rr.com/amIBlockedByRR?ip=126.96.36.199”
- “550 5.7.1 [ESA] Sender blocked”
- “421 4.4.2 service timed out.”
- “554 5.7.1 – ERROR”
And much more errors like this.
How to Fix or Unblock Email Account
- The first step is to change the password of the email account. Make sure the password is strong, consisting of special characters, numbers and capital letters.
- Visit the link given in the error message and fill the online request to unblock the email account.
- Make sure the firewall is on and the antivirus is updated. Scan the complete system with antivirus or anti-malware to remove any spam script or software.
- As a preventive measure, make sure the outgoing server(SMTP) uses the encrypted connection (SSL or TLS).
- You might find it strange but this is another method to prevent your email ID from betting blocked. In outlook, if send/receive schedule is set to automatic after every few seconds, your mail ID will be pinging the email server frequently. This might be considered as spam and block your email account. This possibility is high in offices or with professionals who keep the outlook open for most of the time during the day and extended to late night. So remove the auto-schedule or schedule the send/receive for a higher interval of time.
These steps will definitely help you to unblock email account and in case all the methods fail, you should contact your hosting service provider.