The upcoming world of technology is going to be very different because the world has already intuited with something greater as the upcoming face of technology. We often get a glimpse of that intuition in various sectors, like, movies, phones, smart homes, and the like.
We also have got an advanced version of that technology in the famous movie called Iron Man. There you go; it is the Google Voice Assistant. However, Google is not the first, lone one to bring this type of technology. There is a plethora of alike technology available at this present era of technology, and among them, Google is one of the most prevalent ones.
In this article, we are going to know something interesting about Google Voice Assistant. We are about to know that how to control the desktop you have at your home. It can be controlled with your Google Voice Assistant of your phone or even using any Google voice-enabled device you have.
However, this process will not require any super technical knowledge or anything to do this thing successfully on both the device. You just have to follow this article religiosly, and everything will be there.
Prerequisites of this process
To follow this process you have to have some basic things on the desktop you have, like
- You must have stable internet connection for this procedure since you have to use online sites for this operation. Furthermore, through the internet, we will do the main operation of this entire procedure.
- We will need to have a Google Voice Command enabled any hardware for this operation, like, an Android phone, Google Assistant Device, etc.
- Lastly, we will need two software, like IFTTT, Wake on LAN application, and Eventghost application.
Once you click on the Google Assistant, it will ask for your permission to show a message ‘ifttt.com wants to access your Google Account’, and from there, you have to choose the preferred Google email account for this task.
Process of Turning on and off your Computer
After installing all the prerequisite software, we have to go to the desktop and open up the internet browser to open IFTTT first and then follow all the under mentioned steps here to finish this process successfully.
- Open the internet browser on the desktop and find IFTTT website, or you can even click on this link to open it https://ifttt.com/. From here, you have to first log in to this website, and to do so, you have to create an account here.
Make sure that whichever email you are going to use for creating any account here is going to remain same for all the accounts we are going to create for this entire process.
- After creating the account, we will have to go to the option called ‘Explore’ and from there go to ‘Create’.
- Here you will see a large text called ‘If + This Then That’, just click on the text called This from the entire text.
- A search box will appear on the screen, and from there, you have to search and open the ‘Google Assistant’.
- Now click on the first card from the ‘Choose trigger’ page called ‘Say a simple phrase’.
- Now there will be four different fields to set your desired voice commands for this specific task, and to do so, you will have three fields for this specific task, like ‘What do you want to say?’, ‘What’s another way to say it?’, and ‘And another way?’.
However, the last two fields are optional. On the fourth field, you will see ‘What do you want the Assistant to say in response?, using this you can set the desired response of your Voice Assistant.
- Now again, you will see a similar text like the above mentioned previous text’ ‘If Then + That’’ there you have to press the text called ‘+That’.
- Next, search for ‘Webhooks’ and click on it to open it up. Now choose the option called ‘Make a web request’from here.
- Now you have to open a different tab on the internet browser, and from there, you have to search the Join website application.
- From that interface, you have to select your Android phone model by clicking on it, and press the option called ‘Join API’. Under the Join API page, you will see an orange option called ‘API Key: Show’, press that to unveil the API key for further operation. Now, beneath, you will notice a ‘Text’ field under the ‘Device Group’, and you have to type the command ‘pc_on’, following that copy the URL and go back to the IFTTT web app.
- Now here you have to complete the action process by pasting the URL here and by changing the method to ‘Post’. Finally, press on the ‘Create Action’ and the ‘Finish’button to create this action successfully.
- Now you can create the tuning off action using the same method. Just you have to select the PC option instead of Android phone option on the Join web application interface and use ‘pc_off’ command instead ‘pc_on’ command likewise before.
- Now we have to open the application called Evenghost on the desktop; however if you have not installed this application on the desktop yet, then here you have to install it for the rest process.
- After opening the Eventghost application, you will have to create a macro to turn on or off the computer, and to do so; you have to click on the ‘add macro’ option.
- Here expand the ‘System’ tree, and from there, you have to press the ‘Power’ , and under this category, you will have to select ‘Shut Down’ option.
- Then select ‘force close of all programs’ and press Ok button.
- The desktop now needs to have an event that will actually turn on them by using the rigger. To do so, we have to open the chrome extension of ‘Join’ and click the option called ‘Send an Eventghost command’ from the dropdown.
- Now enter the text ‘pc_off’ and click on the ‘Ok’ button.
- Next, go back to the Eventghost application, and on the left-hand side, you will be able to see the ‘pc_off’ command you just entered on the ‘Join’ extension. Now you have to drag the command between Force Shut down option and Force Shut Down macro.
- After following all the above-mentioned steps, you have to save by pressing the ‘Save’ option from the header.
- Now we have to install the application called ‘Wake On Lan’, which we have already mentioned before. If you haven’t installed it yet, then you have to install it right now on the android phone you are using for this operation.
- After installing the application, you have to open it and press the ‘Plus’ icon to add a new device. From the given list, select the preferred computer model and press ‘Add device’.
- Now we need a different application on the Android device we have. And that App is Tasker because using this now, we will trigger the commands to turn on the computer. Thereby, we have to create an account here and tap the plus icon on the interface. From the dropdown tap on the ‘Event’ option and the ‘Plugin’ option and then ‘Join’ option.
- On the right side of the ‘Configuration’ tab, you will notice an edit option. After pressing the ‘Edit’ icon, you will be redirected to a different page, and there you have to press the text filter option. Here you have to provide the command you set for turning on the computer.
- Then, on the field called ‘Variable names’, you have to type pspower and press ‘Ok’ button.
- Now go back to the basic interface of this application and create a new task called PC power.
- Now here you have to tap the Plus icon once again to create a new action. Next,you have to click on the Plugin option. From the plugin page, you have to select Wake on LAN, and again, you will see a Configuration tab. Likewise, before press the edit tab. And choose the computer you want to use for this action.
- Lastly, press the checkmark logo from the header of this application to save the entire task.
There you are, you have now successfully connected your computer with your Google Voice Assistant. Now you can test this entire process using your mobile phone’s voice command, or if you have any Google voice device, you can even use that too for this process.
Remember, whichever voice command you have set to the IFTTT page, you have to use only those commands for this specific action; otherwise, it won’t understand you or even it can show you completely different results.
Use Google Voice Assistant Now
We hope that we have successfully described that the entire installation process in this above-mentioned article; however, you might have faced some minor challenges during this process.
Though, all of those minor challenges could be escalated with some basic knowledge of the internet. This article could be used as a stepping stone of the process of controlling your desktop using the Google device or Google Voice Assistant. You might become an expert after using this article with some additional resources of the internet.
However, the basic process is always the same and could be used for all similar tasks. To aggravate and enhance your skills regarding this, you might have to enhance your internet browsing and technical sense up to a moderate level. Although, this basic process does not require any technical expertise at all.
Share Your Views: