Numerous technological advancements are happening in our world. Both MiFi and WiFi are the means to use the internet. WiFi is a broadband network whereas MiFi works more like a hotspot. It is crucial to understand what each of these terms means to know the differences between the two.
What is a MiFi?
A MiFi is a mobile hotspot that provides internet to various electronic devices. It is compact and needs the battery to function. It uses the cellular data and we can access it like we would access a net from hotspot. It can be shared with other devices and up to 10 electronic devices can be connected at once using the same mobile hotspot.
The main concern of many is why are we using a MiFi? We all have cellular data that we can use as hotspot whenever we want and whenever. A MiFi is used over a mobile net because it is faster and provides an uninterrupted net. The data available on a phone is less than that available on a MiFi.
MiFi is used mostly by people who travel because it gives internet connectivity even when the area has a very bad “signal and network”. It’s lightweight and can be easily carried in a bag. A MiFi also helps in saving cellular battery and cellular net.
What is WiFi?
WiFi is a wireless networking device that connects many devices without using any wires. If two devices are compatible and have WiFi option then they can be connected with the same WiFi. A cell phone has a WiFi chip in it that lets it get connected to WiFi. The same type of chip is found in all electrical devices that support WiFi.
Key Differences between MiFi and WiFi
- A MiFi is a device that has inbuilt Wifi built into it whereas a WiFi is a wireless networking device.
- A MiFi uses cellular data and can connect up to 10 devices. On the other hand, WiFi doesn’t use cellular data and can connect unlimited devices.
- A MiFi can be called a router or a modem as it has both the functionalities inbuilt but in actuality it’s a mobile hotspot. WiFi though isn’t a mobile hotspot rather it is a device called a modem.
- The MiFi supports both the WiFi support as well as cellular standards like 3G or 4G. WiFi doesn’t support 3G and 4G.
- A MiFi creates a mobile hotspot whereas a WiFi creates a WiFi hotspot
In practical use, both MiFi and WiFi are good but they all come down to usage. For a person who works from home, both are convenient but for a traveler, a MiFi is much more useful. The MiFi is also easier to carry and use than a WiFi. WiFi will have to be connected by a professional whereas a MiFi can be activated and immediately someone can start to use it.
Share Your Views: