Chrome Remote Desktop is a multi-platform application that you can use to access Windows, Mac or Linux desktops from anywhere via google chrome browser. For example, you can install this app on the android phone and can control your windows PC remotely using the internet. This article helps you configure chrome remote desktop in a rightful manner by following these simple steps.
Setting up Chrome Remote Desktop includes two steps
- Configuring Host
- Configuring Client
Step-1 Configuring Host
Note: the steps described below are applicable to all the operating systems including windows, Mac or Linux.
- Open Google Chrome web browser.
- Now type chrome://apps in the address bar and search for Chrome Remote Desktop.
- Now click on it. If you are not already signed in to chrome, it will ask for google sign in credentials.
- Add this chrome extension by clicking add to chrome and accept add in the next pop-up screen.
- Now new chrome app launcher will appear displaying the downloading progress of this extension.
- Now click on Chrome remote Desktop.
- The next screen will show you two options remote assistance and My Computers. 1st option is for remote assistance by screen-sharing process whereas access your computer from anywhere via a 2nd
- Under My computers, click on Get started.
- Now Click Enable Remote Connections. You will be asked to create a PIN by using only digits.
- After you click OK, your system will be ready to accept remote connections. If you are using a laptop, make sure it is not set to sleep mode when idle.
Step-2 Configuring Client.
Note: The following steps can be used on any Chrome Remote Desktop compatible platform. In this example, I am considering Android OS.
- Take your mobile device and open the app store. (Play store or App store)
- Search and install Chrome Remote Desktop.
- Now open the app. It will show you the PC under My computers (Make sure that you use the same google account in mobile as used to sign-in chrome on PC or laptop).
- Now click on PC-name and input PIN number.
- Now you can access your drive partitions and open any file.
More about Chrome remote Desktop
- This app is free to use for both personal and commercial purpose and works hassle-free on cross-platform (OS).
- All the remote sessions established are secure and encrypted using Chrome’s SSL.
- Offers options for both screen sharing and provide assistance remotely.
That’s all. Do share your queries in comments in case you feel any difficulty in setting up Chrome Remote desktop in any of the devices.