Sometimes you need to access files stored on a computer to which you don’t have physical access. A professional will require access to your device from remote locations to assist you in troubleshooting an issue. To help you in these situations, remote access technology comes in. Remote access enables you to operate a computer’s contents without being physically present.
Now you may be querying how remote access works. Well, this technology creates a remote desktop connection that can be utilized from any time and anywhere. Keep reading this context to discover how you can operate a computer remotely, along with what advantages you will get from this technology.
What is Remote Access?
Remote access lets you connect a local device to another computing device. This device includes desktops, laptops, and mobile phones that are located in an offsite area. This way, users don’t need to connect the local device and the remote computer physically. When the connection is established, the user can access the computer contents, fix technical issues, manage updates, and even do administrative tasks.
However, there are numerous ways for remote access to computers. Using third-party software, such as Windows Remote Desktop Connection or RDC and Mobaxterm, would be a good choice as these apps are free to use. If you have a MacBook, you can use Mobaxterm to access any computer remotely. Although it is not available on the Mac App Store, you can download the Mobaxterm app for Mac using An Android emulator.
Advantages of Remotely Access a Computer
Remote access is a very popular service in businesses of all sizes that allow employees to work in remote locations. Below, we have described some significant advantages of having remote access to a computer.
Using remote access technology, you can do any remote administration work. This enables you to control and monitor devices that are joined to the corporate system. The most advantages will get to employees from this technology, as they have the ability to access the corporate network for remote locations without being present physically in the office.
It is another advantage of having remote access to a computer that enables troubleshooting problems easily. Remote access provides the ability to troubleshoot any kind of issues that might occur in your network. As a result, there is no need for IT professionals present on the computer system location to fix the technical issues.
Access Files Remotely
Using remote access technology, you can access files and data saved on your computer and upload files remotely. Another great thing is you will get the ability to access files on other computers connected to the same network. You can only do this when you have permission to do it. Besides, remote access also lets you set up the privileges of users to operate particular devices and folders.
Remote access allows you to manage and perform tasks anytime and anywhere. This technology provides employees the maximum benefit in performing their duties and responsibilities. Besides, all employees in an organization can remotely access their corporate network, no matter where they are in the world.
How to Remote Access to Your Computer
As we said earlier, numerous applications are available on the internet for remote access to a computer. Below, we have explained how you can access a computer remotely with two different popular apps that are very easy to use.
Windows Remote Desktop Connection or RDC
This software is Microsoft built-in feature that offers free remote access technology. Through this software, you can obtain access to another computer remotely. Although Windows RDC is disabled by default, enabling the remote access feature is quite easy. Follow the periodic steps Start > Settings > System > Remote Desktop, and turn on Enable Remote Desktop. Follow the below step to remote access a computer through RDC.
- Launch the Remote Desktop Connection tool from the Start Menu on your device.
- You will see the RDC window, now type the name or IP of the remote computer in the computer field.
- After that, tap on the show option and enter the username of the account you will use to log in.
- Check the box of Allow me to save credentials if you don’t want to enter this information each time.
- Click on the connect button, and you can now connect to the remote computer to run applications or perform other tasks.
Remote Access to a Computer With Mobaxterm
Mobaxterm is prominent software that enables you to access any computer remotely. It offers control of several computers simultaneously that are connected with a similar network. Check out the below steps to access a computer remotely through the Mobaxterm app.
- Launch the Mobaxterm software on your device and tap on Sessions from the top left corner.
- Choose the New session from the showing pop-up menu and select the RDP option.
- Now enter the full name of the computer you want to access in the Remote host segment. Remember, each MCECS should have a label defining its name.
- Put CECS\yourMCECSusername in the username segment and keep the port section as the default 3389.
- Choose the Network settings tab to use the SSH tunnel and tap on the Connect through the SSH gateway checkbox.
- Place the remote hostname you want to connect through in the Gateway SSH server segment.
- Keep the port section as the default 22 and enter the MCECS username in the user segment.
- After that, click Ok, and you will get two login prompts while connecting.
- First, you will be asked for the password to the Linux server for creating the secure tunnel.
- The other prompt will require your CECS\username to access via RDP remotely.
- Once connected, you will see a new tab with your session details, and using the disconnect button, you can end the session.
How Does Remote Access Work
You can use remote access technology if your devices are connected with WAN, LAN, or VPN. These networks offer the capability to securely and remotely access network servers with valid login information. Typically, remote access works by using software, hardware, and network configurations.
It simply connects the remote user to the host computer through the internet connection. This technology doesn’t require any additional hardware; you just have to install remote access software on local and remote computers. When the software is installed, the remote computer can access the local computer and perform several tasks.
Your computer won’t be stuck at home. Now, you can easily access your computer’s contents anytime and anywhere through remote access technology. Besides, without the presence of an IT expert, you can solve any networking issues. When you will not be able to go to your office, you can perform all your administrative activities from your home using this technology.
However, most people have doubts about whether it is possible to remote access a computer. We hope, after reading this context, the doubt will be clear. Following any of the processes discussed above, you can easily connect with a remote computer to access its contents or troubleshoot any issues.
Share Your Views: